Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Which fork in the road

Some days it is so easy to trust God.  Today is not one of those days.  In 2 days our health insurance runs out and I do not have a backup plan.  Providence was helping pay the premiums while Tom is in treatment but that stopped when he died and it will run the end of June. Another common assumption is that widows get social security benefits.  Not so unless you are retirement age or you have children under the age of 16.  In fact, because Tom only lived 1/2 of March I had to send all of March's check back.  And, if I should remarry I will not be able to collect Tom's social security, I can only collect mine which is a pittance since I was a stay at home mom most of my life.  It's not like his next wife is going to collect his benefits.  I'm pretty sure there won't be a next wife.  It is so overwhelming and frustrating having to deal with all of this on top of trying to figure out what to do next.  Tom had life insurance so I am ok for the immediate but I am terrified to spend any of it because our income dropped almost $4000 a month over a 1 year period of time.  I truly love quilting but I am not sure it is enough and there is no retirement or health insurance.  I just want to be told what to do.  It feels naive to think it will just come to me when the time is right.  What if it doesn't?  What if I really can't figure this out on my own.  What is it supposed to look like?  In a three month period of time I lost my husband, most of our income and all of the kids moved out.  That would be huge even with a partner but without one it feels just plain overwhelming and the sucky part is, I did not choose this.  I did not decide to get a divorce.  I feel left with no real purpose or direction in life.  It is not like my focus needs to be to raise my kids.  They are pretty much raised and venturing out on their own.  I know God says that we will know the way to walk but I am looking down each fork in the road and have absolutely no idea which fork to take.

4 comments:

  1. dear maryellen..oh i wish that you would know that the lord is still with you in the fork of the road...who am i to say though really because i don't even know what you are going through and even what you are going through, you have turned your kind hand to tricia and write her such nice "understanding what she is going through" comments.
    oh i wish there was some way for me to help...only to pray!......love terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom- I am so sorry. It is so difficult! I read this today, and I think it is for you.
    Psalms 142- "Psalm 142
    A skillful song, or a didactic or reflective poem, of David; when he was in the cave. A Prayer.
    1I CRY to the Lord with my voice; with my voice to the Lord do I make supplication.
    I pour out my complaint before Him; I tell before Him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed and fainted [throwing all its weight] upon me, then You knew my path. In the way where I walk they have hidden a snare for me. Look on the right hand [the point of attack] and see; for there is no man who knows me [to appear for me]. Refuge has failed me and I have no way to flee; no man cares for my life or my welfare. I cried to You, O Lord; I said, You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living. Attend to my loud cry, for I am brought very low; deliver me from my persecutors, for they are stronger than I. Bring my life out of prison, that I may confess, praise, and give thanks to Your name; the righteous will surround me and crown themselves because of me, for You will deal bountifully with me."

    It is so hard in the midst of it all to remember that in our darkest hour (month, week or year), He is even more present! God's promise is always true, He cannot be unfaithful to those He loves. I know it is hard to know the way, just know that although you don't, He does, and like a faithful shepherd, will lead and guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your honesty, Maryellen, and for reaching out with your voice. I read your comment on my blog, and my heart aches for you. Too much, too much. Amen, sister. Too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you and praying for clear vision about which fork to follow. It often feels like I have to step out and trust the path to bring my direction in line with the path. Wish it were easier and not so frightening.

    ReplyDelete